Just wanted to let everyone know that GAGA is on Facebook. If you are on Facebook, go to Gentileschi Aegis Gallery Association and Like us. Also, share with your friends. This is a great way for all of our members on Facebook to share our accomplishments with each other and promote GAGA! I think I have it set up that all posts to the Blog will also show up on our GAGA Facebook page. Thanks! Anne
In April, Nancy Wood attended the National Art Education Association convention in San Diego and gave a presentation on her doctoral research into the relationships of media and critical thinking in an online tutorial to teach college students to write an art critique.
Nancy is also thinking about going to the Texas Contemporary Art Fair in Houston Sept 5-7. If anyone else is interested, please contact Nancy (email@example.com) and maybe you can go together. For more info on the fair, go to their website http://txcontemporary.com/
Maripat Munley is a GAGA member, and an Art Therapist. The American Art Therapy Association is holding its annual Conference here in San Antonio – about 800 members will attend. She is on the Local Arrangement Committee and is presenting a Paper entitled “Serving Time – Visual Spiritual Journaling the Inner Witness.” Here is a brief description of her 1 hour presentation which will appear in the Conference Catalogue.
Serving Time – Visual Spiritual Journaling The Inner Witness
Describes grid approach to write program proposal and outlines a process to establish a spiritual, art-based program within a forensic setting. Short and long-term program goals, art directives, evaluation and ethical issues will be discussed. Inmate’s art and poetry illustrate appropriate art materials for the setting.
Congratulations Maripat. We are very proud of you!!
I have received about 5 emails from Gaga members regarding McNay event participation and your commitment to encourage a friend who will help support this cause.. Please make an effort– One friend or two… Tell them how important this is to us and how reasonable the art work is at $300.. Get them to purchase a ticket and attend. Encourage them to browse the rainbow corpse..remind them that $100 of their purchase will go to GAGA. Tell them how important and desperately needed their support is to our organization’s continued operation. Make them feel like they are part of us.
Please make an effort to contact me regarding your effort and commitment to this..it is really important that I hear back from you.
We really need to sell the work from this event that GAGA is using to help restore its coffers-I just received the bill from Bandera Art services for the dismantling of the SSA show– a whopping $480 and Lubbock -Lhuca’s work retrieval is coming in at $400 for the Uhall and $400 for gas..maybe more when all is said and done- that does not include our trip to Lubbock to get the truck- or our time or food or gas getting there
That dear members is another $1500– $1750 out of our already steadily decreasing coffers- Please make an effort to sell those extra catalogs- and to encourage your professional friends to purchase a McNay ticket.
here is that link again http://mcnayart.ticketleap.com/art-to-the-power-of-ten/
For those of you who were unable to make the catalog party the catalogs are available for Pick up at Stefani Spears or Thelma Muraida’s home.. you just have to call and make and appointment. I will also have them at the Sept GAGA meeting
Stefani Job Spears
227 Sequoia Hollywood park 78232.
407 west hollywood 78212
210 363 3293
there seems to be some confusion circulating regarding both the catalogs and the McNay event
1) You paid for the catalogs when you had your head shots taken. The five that you were given at the party at Lyn Belilse’s belong to you.
a) if you would like to take 5 more catalogs and try and sell them for the organization that would be wonderful.. as our coffers took a hit to produce the catalog. A $3,500- hit on top of the money we collected initially from you and we were also given a $3000 discount. Litho Press coming in with the lowest bid of 10K where some where as much as 20K. We were fortunate after I cried on Lihtos shoulders that they were willing to go the extra mile and reduce the cost to 7K a very very reasonable price and they worked with us to boot showing us the ropes and tricks of trade
b) Some artists paid for an additional set of five–Confident in their ability to sell to their friends.
2) The McNay’s Power of Ten is the McNAy’s fundraiser.. which is why they are charging $50 a head at the door… ten Galleries Sa Si and GAGA being the nonprofits- the others are Dave Shelton, AN Arte, Parchman Stremmal, Art Palace, French and Michigan Gallery, Gray duck, Rem and Ruiz Healy. These ten galleries make up the ten booths where they will try and sell their artists work to the 300 people attending the affair. To my knowledge–The McNay does not take a percentage of these sales. Please remember this is a selling event not a “MCNAY showing of GAGA’s Work”
3) Which is why I asked you to think about asking one of you collectors to come with you or in your stead because if we flood the event with all gaga people no one will sell anything. This event is going to be one of GAGA’s no tax days–we are allotted two per year. I am hoping we sell many of the beautiful works from the rainbow corpse. It will be displayed as individual pieces for $300 each. GAGA artist taking 200 and GAGA taking 100
4) There are 96 pieces in the exquisite rainbow well 95 we sold one- even with Chelle Barb Stef and Thelma and myself that means we are responsible for about 20 pieces of art apiece to take home. Which is why I asked those who are planning to come to help with the “packing load” at the end of a very long and exhausting evening by perhaps offering to take an other artists 12 x 12 x 2 home with them .. Hopefully we will sell out and this will not be an issue.
5) The catalog will also be on sale during the event.. we will have about 5 boxes-100 catalogs to sell.
Please email me directly with any question you might have– Sylvia