Terry Gay Puckett is showing in the juried International Enamelist Exhibition, Alchemy 3,” at Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, Massachusetts during the month of August.
It seems we have two members exhibiting in the Beeville Art Museum’s exhibition that opens August 1, noon to 2pm. Congratulations Nancy Wood for your two accepted works!
Minutes of the GAGA Meeting SW School of Art … Sun July 12
19 Members Attended:
Terry Gay Puckett, Bev Blair, Ligia Bedenkop, Carolina Flores, Carole Greer, Stefani Spears, Roberta Buckles, Lesta Frank, Virginia Lukefahr, Sallie Stanley Carter, Beatriz Fidele, Thelma Muraida, Bibi Saidi, Barbara Felix, Lupe Marmolejo, Laura Schultz, Sharyn Dacbert, Trina Mattox, Sylvia Benitez
The meeting came to order at 2:10 PM. Sylvia Benitez introduced several new members and new board member Sharon Dacbert.
Sylvia Benitez announced several shows that may be in the future for GAGA members:
- Art Institute in Austin; date: TBA
ACTION: email 1-2 images of figurative art to Sylvia;
none of the art pieces should exceed 2’ x 3’ framed.
- Dougherty Center in Austin; proposal under review
- Carter Center in SA; application under review
- Philips; Spring 2016, during Women’s History Month;
the space is beautiful but not large, so uniformity in size is important;
will use a cradled panel, purchased in bulk for uniformity.
Theme: important (to you or history) woman
ACTION: email Sylvia the name of your chosen woman (give 1-2-3 preferences)
Other possible venues to be explored:
- Sunset Station gallery space in SA
- NE Lakewood College
- Rockport community gallery – new staff there
- MBAW – Musical Bridges around the World – gallery (near Dominion) – opportunity for holiday show, perhaps using ‘Exquisite Corpse’
- Thanks to Lupe for all the work she is putting into the new website:
- ORG ……password gaganation
- Lupe is encouraging members to go to their section & check it out.
- Communications for members will continue to go via WORDPRESS, till the billing is clarified.
- Lupe – show at An Arte – opening 7/15
- Sylvia – summer show at Hunt Gallery ongoing
- Roberta B – will have a show there in November
- Stefani had a gorgeous show in Lubbock
- Sylvia, Lesta, Bibi participated in a show at MBAW gallery in late June.
- Jerry’s Artarama gives 10% discount to GAGA members.
- Mary Michael Stump is new curator at SW School
- Sylvia is considering to offer a workshop on writing a proposal,
approaching a gallery, documenting your art.
Submitted for the record, bibi saidi
First let me thank you for coming today. A lot was discussed, and minutes will be posted later.
First: In the next week or two please select one of the three exhibits listed below and send me two images, a three sentence artist statement and bio. Remember only one exhibit per artist. Subject header should read: Jane Doe_#1 spiritual abstraction or Jane Doe_#2 Landscape, or Jane Doe_#3 figurative narration. Each exhibition is limited to 8 artists. We will curate from the submissions.
1) Spiritual Abstraction: A proposal
3) Figurative Narration
Second: There will be a meeting in late Sept ( TBA) regarding the Women’s history Month show at St. Phillips College. All GAGA’s will interpret one woman from History, mythology, literature on a vertical 12″ x 36″ x 2″ cradled panel.The odd size is due to the limitations of the gallery space and the # of GAGA’s. You may work on the face or inside the cradled box but no extensions off the edges this time.
Please think of three women who you would like to interpret in order of preference and email me with the subject header Jane Doe_Paper dolls. We do not want any repeats. Also first come gets her preference. I will write-up the description later this week and send to everyone, spelling out the approach to this all member exhibition.
Third: Here is our archivist’s email. Virginia has asked me to remind all to continue to send their printed matter— announcements, newspaper clippings, etc.
Fourth: I am developing a workshop to explaining the ins and outs exhibition and grant proposal writing. I will post that later as well.
What: Southwest School of Art (SWSA) Juried All School Exhibition
Where: Russell Hill Rogers Galleries, SWSA, San Antonio, TX
When: Exhibition is from July 18 – August 20, 2015
Member’s Preview – Friday, July 17th from 5:30-7:30pm
Public Opening – Saturday, July 18th from 2-4pm
Come out and support Anne!